Incorporating social studies into your reading instruction is made easy with this novel unit on George Washington's Socks by Elvira Woodruff. This novel unit works as a perfect reading companion to any teacher who teaches about the American Revolution in their classroom.
In this unit you will find:
1) 12 Daily lesson plans aligned with CCSS for grades 3-5. The lesson plans include detailed information about student objective, common core state standards, materials needed, teacher preparation required, and the steps on how to conduct the lesson.
2) 60 anchor lesson slides provided in SMARTBoard, PowerPoint or PGN image files.
3) 30 pages of student activity sheets to go along with each daily lesson.
4) 11 pages of vocabulary word work skills to help students practice new words found in the novel
5) Bulletin Board set to help reinforce content learned.
6) Additional Learning Activities to go along with daily lessons include: an article to give background information about the Battle of Trenton, genre sort activity, cause/effect puzzle activity, reader's theater, group discussion prompt cards
7) 5 end-of-unit centers to help wrap up your unit.
The following skills are taught in the unit:
1) Reading genres (historical fiction, science fiction, realistic fiction)
2) Character development
3) Story Mounting (background, rising action, climax, falling action, solution)
4) Cause and effect
5) Types of Conflict in fictional text
6) Fluency (through reader's theater)
7) Fact vs Fiction (Historical Fiction - what's historically real, what's not)
9) Figurative Language
10) Vocabulary Skills: parts of speech, antonyms/synonyms, suffixes, context clues, visualizing the word, syllables
11) Narrative writing (response to literature)
Please check out the detailed sample to see everything included in this unit - over 200 pages of materials!!!
You may also enjoy my American Revolutionary War Unit
to go along with this novel unit:
Other novel units available in my store:
Because of Winn-Dixie
Donavan's Word Jar
Dear Mr. Henshaw