This is a unit for the novel George Washington's Socks written by Elvira Woodruff. Too many times, it seems social studies and the importance of history get left behind. Why not tackle both WHILE focusing on the Common Core Reading and Language Standards?
This unit contains the following items:
- Comprehension Quizzes (8 quizzes, 1 for every 3 chapters. Each quiz features short answer and multiple choice questions, answer key is included)
- Figurative Language definition page and student-use charts (answer key included)
- Chapter Vocabulary (3 words per chapter) with Vocabulary-Sentence-Definition-Picture charts
- Character Attribute Web with Note Taking Page
- Journal Prompts (one per chapter)
- MountVernon.org Internet Research Activities (with virtual tour of Mount Vernon)
Please feel free to adjust any of the activities based on the needs of your class. This unit touches on multiple strands of the Common Core Standards (some have been listed for you). Please review the Common Core Standards for a complete description of where these activities may tie into the standards that you want to cover for your class.
If you are searching for other U.S. history-based activities or lessons, please check out our other products:
- Constitution Quest Activity (https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Constitution-Quest-Activity-Lesson-1444345)
- History of Presidents' Day Activity (https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/History-of-Presidents-Day-Article-and-Activities-1665248)