This is a partner project where students will research one of the 16 Bundeslaender in Germany. Each project includes: creating and decorating a map piece; creating a profile of the Bundesland on a tissue box; including a cultural presentation (food, traditional clothing, regional dances, etc).
Students will then present their projects to the class. Each group sets up their three pieces, and then with their Reisepass they tour the classroom to visit the other Bundeslaender and take notes.
This Product Includes:
- Teacher Notes (talks about pacing, describes how to assist students with each part of the project, has pictures, and has links to additional practice activities such as Quia, Wizer Me, and Kahoot)
- Project Overview for students
- Sign-up sheet to keep track of partners and Bundeslaender
- Map of Germany for students to trace to create their map pieces
- Project Planner to guide student research and assist them in finding all the relevant information AND putting it in the right spot
- Project Checklist for the teacher to keep track of how far along students are in their work
- Reisepass (passport for students to fill out as they tour the other projects)
- Rubric (includes all components: map piece, tissue box, passport, cultural presentation, and a bonus activity)
At the end of the project, students will be able to put their map pieces together to create a large map of Germany that can be hung up in the classroom or hallway.
I use this project with my German 1 students who have had an exploratory/flex class the previous year. I gave them five days in class to work on the project, checking in with each group twice, and then on the sixth day students presented.