This 29 slide PowerPoint Presentation forms part of a series of presentations on the subject of astronomy entitled, “Getting Lost In Space.” This one features information about our sun and covers;
• How the sun was formed.
• The sun’s importance in mythology and history.
• Early scientific knowledge about the sun and its place in the heavens.
• General and amazing facts about the sun.
• Information about temperature, size, mass, relative distances, sunspots, solar flares, solar eclipses, etc
• Life cycle of the sun.
• The sun’s internal structure and atmosphere.
• Past, present and future missions to the sun.
Included on the last slide is a Word document, “SOLAR STUDENT ACTIVITIES” which contains;
• Quick Quiz based on what students have understood about the sun.
• Sun Display activity presenting the sun’s features.
• Finding the Size of the Sun and Moon Activity involving building a pin-hole viewer.
• Day & Night Globe Demonstration highlighting how the Earth’s rotation gives us our day and night.
• Movement of the Sun, Earth, and Moon requiring students to figure out how to construct a working model that depicts the movement of the sun, earth and moon.
• Solar Eclipse Model demonstrating how an eclipse takes place.