Help student go beyond "knowing" poetry terms and really "Get" them!
Using 10 poems by Robert Frost and interactive Quizlet practice, students not only MASTER poetry terms, but also match them to examples taken directly from Frost's work.
Note: This version is for people who use Google. There is a download version if you don't.
Use this activity if:
- You want to study Robert Frost's poetry
- You already have (or can easily find) biography and background info on Frost
- You want students to learn poetic devices / techniques / elements / terms
- BUT you want student to really "Get" what the terms are and how they are used
- BECAUSE you want students to really appreciate great poetry!
Effective Strategies in this Activity
- Grouping poetry terms into three main categories: Sounds, Imagery and Structure
- Quizlet sets sorted into these three categories with over 125 cards
- Differentiation strategies for groups, pairs and individuals
- Mastery learning
- Suited to Flipped Classes
Included in this Activity
- Introductory Slide Presentation
- Teacher's Guide with instructions and teaching tips
- Student Handout
- 10 Robert Frost Poems
- 3 Sets of Quizlet quizzes
- Bonus - Poetry Terms Glossary!
This activity is the first step to help students really appreciate quality poetry. Once students have mastered poetic devices and how they appear in real poems, you might consider the next steps where they get into "How" these devices are used and "Why." Look for the upcoming activities that support analysis and explication of poetry.
Thanks for taking a look!
The “Getting Poetry” Goal: to help students understand and appreciate poetry so much
that they might cry, sigh, smile or memorize!