How many times have you heard a frustrated student say: "But I don't know what to write about!" ? Probably more times than you can count! Writer's Workshop may be the answer to that problem. Writer's Workshop is an exciting, simple, and flexible approach to teaching writing in your classroom. I believe that students as young as Kindergarten can and should write - and Writer's Workshop makes that a possibility! Though Writer's Workshop allows students a lot of flexibility with their writing, this approach ensures that writing standards are still being met.
This unit includes over 15 pages of tips and tricks to get Writer's Workshop started in your own Kindergarten classroom. It also includes 2 weeks of full lesson plans and all the materials needed to implement these lessons. These lesson plans are intended to introduce your students to Writer's Workshop, the Writing Process, and the importance of writing in general. This 65 page unit includes:
- Suggested Writer's Workshop Weekly and Daily Schedules
- Sample Writer's Workshop Conference Form and Conference Rotation Schedule
- Tips for Using Folders/Notebooks with Writer's Workshop, Grading Suggestions, Guidelines for Share Time
- "What is Writing?" Lesson Plan with Writer's Workshop Anchor Chart. Sample this lesson here.
- "Writing is Different from Pictures" Lesson Plan with "What is Writing?" Assessment
- "Writing Works with Pictures" Lesson Plan
- "Why Do We Write?" Lesson Plan with "Why Do Writers Write?" Anchor Chart
- "We Are All Writers!" Lesson Plan with "What Do Authors Write?" Anchor Chart, Writer's Workshop Assessment, and Author Nameplates
- "Let's Plan Our Writing!" Lesson Plan with Writing Process Anchor Chart, "What Can I Write About?" Anchor Chart, and "I Want to Write About..." Student Planning Sheet
- "Let's Write!" Lesson Plan with 3 Types of Writing Sheets
- "Let's Revise!" Lesson Plan with "Revise" Anchor Chart
- "Let's Edit!" Lesson Plan with "Edit" Anchor Chart
- "Let's Publish!" Lesson Plan with Writing Process Assessment
- Rubric to Score Student Writing from this Unit
This mini-unit aligns with CCSS and Virginia SOLS for Writing.
Thank you so much for considering this product! Please take the time to rate my product and provide helpful feedback. Not only will your comments help me improve my products, you will also earn TPT credit to use towards future purchases! Please follow my store by clicking the green star if you'd like to see more products like this! You may also enjoy my K.G. Super Shapes Unit Part 1!
Virginia English SOL alignment: K.3.c, K.5.c, K.6.b, K.6.c, K.9.a, K.11.b, K.12.a, K.12.b, K.12.c