Use "Getting To Know You" activities at the start of the school year to teach students how to make evidence-based claims in a meaningful and practical way.
This Getting To Know You Claim-Evidence-Reasoning Activity Bundle by Hoop There It Is provides jigsaw, stations, and show-and-tell options that could be adapted to all grade levels, subject areas, and time frames. Students investigate the teacher and their classmates by examining clues and then using evidence and reasoning to make scientific claims.
Making claims and supporting them with evidence has become an increasingly important skill in subject areas outside of science with the introduction of Common Core Standards in Literature and Mathematics. Allowing students to draw conclusions based on evidence from primary sources is becoming more common in social studies classes as well.
Use the systematic approach provided in these activities to train students to use reasoning to make and justify scientific claims based on concrete evidence.
This download includes:
- Big Ideas and Lesson Plan (pg. 2)
- Example teacher claims and evidence (pg. 3)
- Planning sheet (pg. 4)
- Student handout for JIGSAW format (pg. 5-6)
- Student handout for STATIONS format (pg. 7-8)
- Student handout for Show And Tell with 5 pieces of evidence per student (pg. 9-10)
- Student handout for Show And Tell with 3 pieces of evidence per student (pg. 11-12)