Do you need an engaging "Getting to Know You" icebreaker activity for the beginning of the year? This fun back-to-school activity will get students up out of their seats to "interview" their new classmates.
Simply copy the general or grade level specific sheet you need and distribute to students. Send students with paper and pencils (clipboards if you have them) to wander the room asking their classmates questions such as “Have you broken a bone? Do you have a nickname? Do you play a musical instrument?” If a student answers “yes,” then they sign their first name in the corresponding box.
For primary classrooms, the teacher may need to model how to politely ask someone a question, respectfully sign their first name, reciprocate by asking a question of their own, and give guidance on what to do if a student answers “no” to a question.
• Tell students that they may only sign a classmate’s sheet one time.
• Tell students if the teacher will or will not participate in this activity.
• Set a time limit and see which classmate can have the most signatures at the end of the time.
• At the end of the activity, gather as a class to see how many classmates have something in common because they can do the same activity.
Pages included in this pack:
• Welcome Students! (general)
• Getting To Know You! (general)
• Welcome First Graders!
• Welcome Second Graders!
• Welcome Third Graders!
• Welcome Fourth Graders!
• Welcome Fifth Graders!
I hope that you'll join me in Adding Some Sparkle
to your classroom this year. I'd love to hear about how you're using my Getting to Know You Icebreaker
in your classroom. It will make my day sparkle
to hear from you. Connect with me via Twitter at AddSparkle88
, on Instagram at AddSomeSparkle88
, or my blog Add Some Sparkle