Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing. How to unzip files.
3.26 MB | 9 pages
Getting to know you, getting to know me and our families
These materials support a unit of work investigating and appreciating the diversity of cultural backgrounds and traditions represented in a class.
The unit may be used as part of the ‘getting to know you’ studies at the beginning of a school year, or form part of a specific history unit.
The materials encourage family discussions about heritage and cultural traditions and invite students to share their family stories with each other.
Sharing stories helps to develop understanding of each other’s traditions and beliefs, which in turn fosters respect and empathy.
Materials in this package:
There are 9 documents in three different formats: Word docs, PowerPoint, and pdf, including:
• Letter to parents introducing and explaining the unit (in both Word doc and pdf formats)
• My family — Where we were born — World Map: Map of the world for families to complete showing places of birth (2 layouts to choose from)
• Family traditions and celebrations — Parent sheet: Sheet for parents to complete with information about cultural and family traditions and celebrations (in both Word doc and pdf formats)
• My family traditions: 2 formats:
o Editable PowerPoint to be completed by children using information supplied by parents
o A pdf of the PowerPoint that may be printed, stapled into a booklet and completed by children using information supplied by parents
• Name flags for wall map: Suggestion for creating wall display, including editable table for children’s names
• Getting to know you, getting to know me and our families: Information sheet about the materials
I hope you enjoy using these materials.
It is a great way for getting to know your children and their families.
Check out my blog at www.NorahColvin.com for more ideas and discussions about teaching and learning.