Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing. How to unzip files.
3.59 MB | 12 pages
***This product includes a SmartNotebook file.***
Ghosts in the Graveyard is a spookily fun review game for Algebra I, great for Halloween but can be played at any time. Teams will solve linear equations that have been "carved" into tombstone cards. Teams earn ghost icons for their correct answers, and place those ghosts into their choice of graveyards on the SmartBoard. At the end of the game, a surprise twist reveals that different point values have been buried in each graveyard. After applying those point values to the ghosts inside the graveyards, the team with the most points wins!
Intended Level: Algebra I
What do my students need to know before they play?
Your students should be able to solve a variety of linear equations with variables on both sides, including those that involve….
• Simplifying before solving (distribution, combining like terms)
• Dealing with rational numbers
• Consecutive number problems
• Constructing an equation from a word problem that has multiple unknowns
• Equations with no solution or infinite solutions
Why is it Awesome?
• All students are engaged and working at the same time. No waiting for another team to take their turn.
• The secret scoring twist at the end adds an element of chance, so it's not just the fastest teams that win.
• 8th and 9th graders are nostalgic for the fun Halloween activities of their not-so-distant youth. With its dark color scheme and spooky images, this game is great for older students.
This product includes....
1. Digital Gameboard (SmartNotebook file)
2. 10 Equation tombstone cards (PDF)
3. Teacher notes and solution key (PDF)
I hope you give this game a try and let me know how it goes!