The Giants and the Joneses by Julia Donaldson is one of my all-time favorite books for 2nd-5th graders. It is a gripping, funny fantasy-adventure that is fabulous for developing reading comprehension strategies through the author’s imagined language of Groilish.
Giant girl Jumbeelia kidnaps three human children and brings them up a beanstalk to her home in the giants’ land of Groil. This engaging story follows the three ‘iggly plops’, Colette, Steven, and Poppy, as they try to escape from the well-meaning Jumbeelia and find their way home.
This book makes a great novel unit for the whole class or for small reading groups. It works well with fourth and fifth grade independent reading levels, but can be easily used as a read aloud or for advanced literature circles in second and third grade.
This response to literature/ novel unit includes:
• Chapter Comprehension Checks with answer key (CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RL.2.1, 2.3 3.1, 3.3, 4.1)
• Character Map using evidence from text (CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RL.2.7, 5.1)
• ‘top hat’ compare/ contrast graphic organizers (2) (CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RL.2.6, 2.9, 3.6, 4.3 4.4, 4.6, 5.3, .5.9)
• Writing Prompt Page CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.W.3.1.B, 3.3, .4.3, CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RL.2.3, 3.3)
• Literature Circle Role Sheets (5) (CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RL. 3.4, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.4)
• Word Collector (CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RL.3.4, 4.4, 5.4)
• Making Inferences CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RL.4.1
• Cause and Effect page & blank (CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RL.5.3
All but cover page is black and white for easy copying.
Graphics and borders by fabulous fellow TPT users: Dorky Doodles, Dancing Crayon Designs, and Paula Kim Studio!