• Reading: Compare and Contrast Venn Diagram – Compare and contrast the traditional version of The Gingerbread Man with Gingerbread Baby, by Jan Brett.
• Math: Gingerbread vs. Fox Roll, Add, and Color Math Game – This game is played in partners – one partner is the fox and the other is the gingerbread man. Partners take turns rolling two dice, adding, and coloring the sum on their picture. Whoever finishes the picture first wins the game!
• Math: Gingerbread Math story problems – Read and solve addition and subtraction number stories. Then students write their own!
• Descriptive Writing with Adjectives: My Gingerbread Descriptive Writing Project: Cover, Gingerbread Looks/Has/Tastes thinking map, Gingerbread boy and girl to color and write adjectives/describing words, gingerbread house to color and write adjectives/describing words, My Gingerbread Descriptive Writing paper, My Gingerbread House Descriptive Writing Paper
• How-to Writing: How to Make a Gingerbread House, How to Build a Gingerbread Man
• Creative Writing: If I Lived in a Gingerbread House
• Letters: Letter to the Fox, Letter to a Gingerbread Man
• Creative Writing: Run, Run, Gingerbread Man – Students write about how the Gingerbread man should escape the fox/being eaten.
• Reading/Writing Activity: Gingerbread Book Report: Write title, author, if the gingerbread man gets eaten, draw/write about favorite part
• Writing Project/Craft – If I Were a Gingerbread Kid. Students write about themselves as gingerbread kids, then draw face or paste a picture of their faces in the gingerbread body for a craft!
• Creative Writing: My Gingerbread Story: Beginning/Middle/End graphic organizer to plan writing, writing paper
• Reading/Center Activities: Gingerbread ABC Order, Making Words, Noun/Verb sort, Short/Long Vowel coloring
I hope your students enjoy these activities. Another unit that may interest you is
Polar Express Writing & Literacy Unit