Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
Explore our out of sight, out of mind addiction to disposable living and learn the realities of our garbage footprints, the landfills that hold the truth, and various health and sustainability issues all this creates in this activity 5-pack.
This makes a great set of activities to strengthen any Human Geography or Global Issues unit on pollution, waste, and sustainability. Or use as the perfect Earth Day activity!
Your students will end these activities able to:
- Analyze several sobering statistics and EPA graphs and charts on current garage realities
- Explore the landfills and waste treatment strategies of the world
- Research and share learning regarding a wide range of current issues related to garbage
- Strengthen annotating and citation skills
- Developed a deep and nuanced understanding the concept garbage
Greatness is recognizing the extent of a serious problem in order to fix it.
Challenge your students to analyze eye-opening graphs, charts, and videos, various news articles, and informational texts in order to develop a much more complete definition of garbage, building towards answering the sobering question: “Just how big is our garbage footprint?”
Create waste-conscious citizens out of your students in this 4-5 day activity pack!
Included in this complete pack:
- 3-page teacher overview and detailed lesson plans
- 1-page Concept Definition for "garbage"
- 2-page Human Footprint Documentary Analysis with Teacher Copy
- 2-page Garbage Data Analysis
- 2-page Landfill Analysis with Teacher Copy
- Various options for Current Garbage Issues Research
- News Media Analysis form to support research
- 3 BONUS Skill Sheets: Annotating a Text, News Media Analysis, Annotating a Citation
- 19-slide editable PowerPoint with student directions and resources links
Note: the documentary is easy to find for rent or purchase; links are provided for all outside resources.
Note to Homeschoolers
Though the included teacher lesson plans and PPT slides are written to fully support a traditional classroom teacher, this resource is also a great fit for your teenage homeschooler:
- the inquiry, thematic structure of this activity pack is driven more by critical thinking and reading skills and a central high-interest question than any one set of state-specific, grade-specific content standards
- a wide age and ability range can easily access the rich variety of sources utilized in this activity pack, making it perfect for a multi-grade group
- your student’s voice is central to each activity, through talking out their learning, maximizing the one-on-one
- activities can be completed independently and aren’t solely reliant on group or whole-class work
- all utilized sources are free or inexpensive and easily obtainable; either included, accessible online, available at your local library, or purchased used through Amazon (links provided)
- this activity pack is independent of a textbook, though one could be used for greater background knowledge
- any activity can easily be left out to customize for your student’s skill level or personal interest
Want to turn this into a whole unit on garbage?
How Can I Best Reduce My Garbage Footprint? explore everything garbage in this 2-3 week PBL unit
Want even more sustainability resources?
How Can I Best Sustain Our Water? explore these topics and more in this 2-3 week PBL unit
How Can I Best Sustain Our Fossil Fuels? explore everything fossil fuels in this 2-3 week PBL unit
Sustainability PBL Unit: explores all 3 in this mega 6-8 week PBL unit
Check out these other Global Issues PBL units!
World Population PBL Unit: explore worldwide population numbers, extreme poverty, and demographics
--- World Poverty PBL Mini Unit: explore what living on one dollar a day really looks like
Globalization PBL Unit: explore the growth and shrinking of our global population, connectivity, and resources
--- Globalization PBL Mini Unit: explore all the same topics in about half the time
--- Competing in a Flat World PBL Mini Unit: explore the flattening of the world’s economy
--- What’s My Eco Footprint PBL Mini Unit: explore the impact of one’s footprint in comparison to the world’s
Building a Global Issues or Geography curriculum from scratch?
Global Issues Course Bundle get this complete semester-long course in one download and save big!