Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
Explore the truth about the ever-growing pile of garbage we as humans are amassing and be part of the solution by developing a bulletin board display of solutions to reduce our trash footprint and be one step to a zero-waste lifestyle in this activity 5-pack.
This makes a great set of activities and project to strengthen any Human Geography or Global Issues unit on recycling, sustainability, and conservation. Or use as the perfect Earth Day activity!
Your students will end these activities able to:
- Assess and reflect on their incoming knowledge of garbage
- Articulate the impact just three single-use disposables: bags, bottles, and cups
- Explain how money and stuff really don’t buy happiness
- Research and share a wide range of simple, doable actions to conserve reduce and replace garbage
- Developed a deep and nuanced understanding the concept garbage
- Strengthen their own sense of human capability to be part of the solution
Greatness is believing in the power of one to be part of the solution.
Challenge your students to analyze eye-opening statistics, facts, and news articles, along with the memorable and engaging documentary, Bag It, in order to develop a much more complete definition of garbage, building towards answering the sobering question: “How can I produce less garbage?”
Create waste-conscious citizens out of your students in this 4-5 day activity pack!
Included in this complete pack:
- 3-page teacher overview and detailed lesson plans
- 1-page Concept Definition sheet
- 2-page Garbage Test activity with Answer Key
- Bag It Movie Guide Graphic Organizer with Answer Key
- 3-page Money Can’t Buy Happiness news article analysis with three activities options (Gallery Walk, Jigsaw, and Speed Dating)
- 2-page Be the Solution research and poster project (with CCSS-aligned and generic rubrics options)
- Bulletin Board signage to share posters with your whole school
- BONUS Skill Sheets: Annotating a Text and Annotating a Citation
- 13-slide editable PowerPoint with student directions and resources links
Note to Homeschoolers
Though the included teacher lesson plans and PPT slides are written to fully support a traditional classroom teacher, this resource is also a great fit for your teenage homeschooler:
- the inquiry, thematic structure of this activity pack is driven more by critical thinking, reading, and writing skills and a central high-interest question than any one set of state-specific, grade-specific content standards
- a wide age and ability range can easily access the rich variety of sources utilized in this unit, making it perfect for a multi-grade group
- your student’s voice is central to each activity, through talking out their learning, maximizing the one-on-one
- activities can be completed independently and aren’t solely reliant on group or whole-class work
- all utilized sources are free or inexpensive and easily obtainable; either included, accessible online, available at your local library, or purchased used through Amazon (links provided)
- this activity pack is independent of a textbook, though one could be used for greater background knowledge
- any activity can easily be left out to customize for your student’s skill level or personal interest
Want to turn this into a whole unit on garbage?
How Can I Best Reduce My Garbage Footprint? explore everything garbage in this 2-3 week PBL unit
Want even more sustainability resources?
How Can I Best Sustain Our Fossil Fuels? explore everything fossil fuels in this 2-3 week PBL unit
How Can I Best Sustain Our Water? explore these topics and more in this 2-3 week PBL unit
Sustainability PBL Unit: explores all 3 in this mega 6-8 week PBL unit
Check out these other Global Issues PBL units!
World Population PBL Unit: explore worldwide population numbers, extreme poverty, and demographics
--- World Poverty PBL Mini Unit: explore what living on one dollar a day really looks like
Globalization PBL Unit: explore the growth and shrinking of our global population, connectivity, and resources
--- Globalization PBL Mini Unit: explore all the same topics in about half the time
--- Competing in a Flat World PBL Mini Unit: explore the flattening of the world’s economy
--- What’s My Eco Footprint PBL Mini Unit: explore the impact of one’s footprint in comparison to the world’s
Building a Global Issues or Geography curriculum from scratch?
Global Issues Course Bundle get this complete semester-long course in one download and save big!