This comprehensive project challenges students to inform, raise awareness, and advocate on a global issue of their choice. Students research and plan an awareness campaign to deliver to their community, school, and/or student body. Turn students from passive learners into advocates as they assume the role of teacher as they are challenged to inform and educate their peers about their topic. The project requires students to be creative, innovative and use 21st century skills as they complete different portions of the project. The project addresses multiple learning styles and allows students to create artwork, posters, brochures, social media and much more.
The Project Includes 8 individual projects listed below with grading rubrics:
• Article Research
• Artwork Awareness
• School Awareness – Poster, Brochure (possible booth)
• Social Media Awareness Campaign
• 2-4-minute global awareness visual
• 7-10-minute informational presentation to the class about your topic
• 5-7-page research paper- properly cited
• Reflective Essay
• State Standards
• Teaching recommendations for the unit
• School wide awareness ideas
• Project Checklist
• Topic Ideas and additional links for topics
• Requirements for all 8 projects
• Rubrics for all 8 projects
I recommend working with your building Principal to create global issues awareness week within the school using this project. Use this project to:
1. Plaster school walls with student posters.
2. Use school social media to share student created posts.
3. Pass out brochures in the hallways or in the lunchroom.
4. Share the PSA videos students create and have other students vote on the best videos.
5. Use formal presentations (or research papers) as capstones or final assessments.
This could be a cross-curricular project with English and/or Art and is based on 21st century skills. Use this project as a final project or choose to use several projects the way it fits into your class.