Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
Explore everything from our increasingly concerning world’s population trends to global industrialization to our eco footprint consumption of natural resources with this eye-opening PBL mini unit.
By the end of this mini unit, your students will be able to:
- Articulate how surging and declining population trends are equally alarming
- Calculate their eco footprint and explain how it is affecting the globe’s natural resources
- Research and reflect on today's global headlines
- Place themselves within the interconnected village that industrialization and globalization has built in a creative writing project
This is a condensed 2-3 week version of the full 6-8 week Globalization PBL Unit.
Greatness is harnessing the connectivity of today’s world to tackle our common problems.
Few teenagers know the world beyond their own surroundings and many have no idea how their lifestyle, their choices, their hopes are part of a larger global story. Yet at the same time, few also know how capable they are to be the solution to the urgent problems industrialization and globalization have created.
Guide your students through a wide variety of sources (from documentaries and maps to simulations and scholarly essays) as they grapple with the not-so-simple question: “What is exactly this global village in which I live?”
You will set each of your students up for success in this high interest, multi-faceted project-based unit, regardless of ability, with highly scaffolded graphic organizers, skill sheets, and supplemental resources included at each step of the way.
Empower your students to become globally aware citizens in this 2-3 week unit!
Activities are completely interchangeable- mix and match depending on time constraints, student ability, or personal interests.
Included in this project-based mini unit:
- Unit overview and 3 pages of detailed daily lesson plans
- Step-by-step simulation script and directions for activities
- Answer keys and rubrics (both CCSS-aligned and generic)
- 22-slide editable PowerPoint slideshow with images, links, and student directions
Student Materials & Activities
- Unit Notes & Concept Definition Sheet to record and reflect on learning
- 1 Hook Activity to open with eye-popping statistics and facts
- 2 Population Activities to analyze historical growth and current trends by examining NOVA-produced data maps and documentary
- 2 Natural Resources Activities to analyze the environmental costs of industrialization by examining additional NOVA-produced data maps and documentary
- Letter to a Have-Not Project to compare and explain their eco footprint to an impoverished peer in a developing country
- Current Issues Project to research today’s news for the events that make these issues real life
- Skill Sheet Handouts Annotating a Citation, TASTED News Media Source
Note: the unit uses a few hardcopy resources that are easy to find either at your local library or on Amazon; links are provided.
Want to make this into a full unit?
Population Growth, Globalization, Natural Resources PBL Unit: explore in-depth our growing population, interconnectedness, and eco footprints with multiple projects and a culminating DBQ essay
Just want part of this unit?
Competing in a Flat World PBL Mini Unit: explore globalization and how the world has become hyper connected and thus hyper competitive in the last few decades
What’s My Eco Footprint PBL Mini Unit: explore our natural resources and the impact of one’s own footprint and compare it to the world’s
NOVA Earth in Peril & World in Balance 4-Pack: explore global population and natural resource trends with 4 engaging PBS resources
Check out these other Global Issues PBL units!
World Population PBL Unit: explore worldwide population numbers, extreme poverty, and demographics
--- World Poverty PBL Mini Unit: explore what living on one dollar a day really looks like
Sustainability PBL Unit: explores the ever increasing water, fossil fuel, and garbage footprints
--- Water PBL Unit: explores the problems and solutions in maintaining this finite resource
--- Fossil Fuels PBL Unit: explores the problems and solutions of our biggest addiction
--- Garbage PBL Unit: explores the problems and solutions of our consumeristic, disposable lifestyles
Building a Global Issues or Geography curriculum from scratch?
Global Issues Course Bundle get this complete semester-long course in one download and save big!