Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
Make the hard-to-grasp concept of “globalization” real for your students with a scaffolded analysis of Thomas Friedman’s best-seller book, The World Is Flat, the eye-opening documentary, Two Million Minutes, and the largely unheard-of disruptor—open courseware. Culminate their learning with a poster displaying how these Flatteners have completely uprooted modern society, creating the competitive and interconnected global village of today.
By the end of this mini unit, your students will able to:
- Articulate a nuanced and personal understanding of the concept “globalization”
- Compare the lives of teenagers around the world in preparing for college and the global economy
- Research and reflect on the role open courseware will have on the future of job competition
- Annotate, communicate, and display how Friedman’s Flatteners have changed the world
Greatness is recognizing the reality of globalization in order to make better personal choices moving forward.
Globalization is too large a concept to truly understand without real examples, personal examples, individual stories with faces and emotions attached.
Through a small collection of rich sources, from personalized research to an easy-to-read book summary to images to an engaging documentary, students will see how globalization is in their lives every single day and will define their future.
Each activity can be completed independently of each other- pick and choose, space them out, save for emergency sub plans, or complete all in a row!
Included in this 5-7 class period mini unit:
- Overview and detailed daily lesson plans
- 27-slide editable PowerPoint slideshow with images, links, and student directions
- Signage to publicly display posters for the school or community to view
Student Materials & Activities
- Concept Definition to deeply and personally define “globalization”
- Open Courseware Exploration to research and reflect upon how this game-changer could make or break their career aspirations
- Two Million Minutes Documentary to see and hear stories of six teenagers around the world simultaneously preparing for college
- The World Is Flat Poster Project to analyze a brief book summary, research further, and create a high-level poster to teach classmates on the various Flatteners changing the world
Want to make this into a larger unit?
Population Growth, Globalization, Natural Resources PBL Unit: explore in-depth our growing population, interconnectedness, and eco footprints with multiple projects and a culminating DBQ essay
Population Growth, Globalization, Natural Resources PBL Mini Unit: try this shorter unit that covers all the same topics in about half the time
Want something similar?
What’s My Eco Footprint PBL Mini Unit: explore the topic of Earth's natural resources and the impact of one’s own footprint and compare it to the world’s
NOVA Earth in Peril & World in Balance 4-Pack: explore the topic of global population and natural resource trends with 4 engaging PBS resources
Check out these other Global Issues PBL units!
World Population PBL Unit: explore worldwide population numbers, extreme poverty, and demographics
--- World Poverty PBL Mini Unit: explore what living on one dollar a day really looks like
Sustainability PBL Unit: explores the ever increasing water, fossil fuel, and garbage footprints
--- Water PBL Unit: explores the problems and solutions in maintaining this finite resource
--- Fossil Fuels PBL Unit: explores the problems and solutions of our biggest addiction
--- Garbage PBL Unit: explores the problems and solutions of our consumeristic, disposable lifestyles
Building a Global Issues or Geography curriculum from scratch?
Global Issues Course Bundle get this complete semester-long course in one download and save big!