NOTE: This puzzle is meant to be used after students have read the book. Also, because the answers to most of the clues consist of one word, students will benefit from the use of a thesaurus rather than a dictionary.
Students solve this crossword by providing synonyms and antonyms for 25 vocabulary words from GLORY BE. Each clue contains a vocabulary word and the sentence in which it appears in the book. Students must decide provide either a synonym or an antonym for the challenging word.
Examples of clues:
* “Especially now, this summer, with people all RILED UP about outsiders and Northerners and pools closing.” (ant.) ANSWER: happy
* “We’re trying to get word to that girl’s mama about VANDALISM that occurred at the pool.” (Property ___; syn.)
* I could be ANONYMOUS like they were. (ant.) ANSWER: known
* Then I caught a glimpse of a red plaid skirt SASHAYING down the shady side street by the library. (syn.) ANSWER: swaying
More challenging—and fun!—than a typical vocabulary crossword!
PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING:
The 25 words in this puzzle are also listed and defined on the GLORY BE edition of Bookmarks Plus. Please see the list of products below.
Also, the same 25 words are part of my GLORY BE 50-word Prereading Crossword, which familiarizes students with new words before they read the book. Please see the list of products below.
USE ALL THREE TO REINFORCE MEANING!
Here are my unique products over GLORY BE—view them in my store!
* Bookmarks Plus: GLORY BE edition—A Very Handy Little Reading Aid!
Helps students keep track of characters and provides definitions for new words—and so much more! A lot of helpful information at students’ fingertips! Students and teachers alike are delighted with these handy reading aids!
* GLORY BE: 50-word Prereading Vocabulary Crossword—Familiarize students beforehand!
Helps prepare students for reading the book! Use with the Glory Be edition of Bookmarks Plus and the Glory Be Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words!
* GLORY BE: Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword—Use with Bookmarks Plus!
Use with Bookmarks Plus and the 50-word Prereading Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words! A unique crossword!
Word-Wise Language Arts Resources
—100s of unique products over most-taught literature!
Fun Teaching~Fun Learning!