Mathematical glyphs are a great way to teach problem solving and data organization (graphing). These glyphs are appropriate for 1st and 2nd grade, can be used in large or small group instruction or for an independent math center activities.
Examples are given with each glyph as to how you can use data individually and as a class.
The glyphs can also be used with PK and Kindergarten in small group instruction time and then used in whole group math instruction. Background information about glyphs is given along with teaching points for using the glyphs.
Included are sheets for center use and some worksheets. Children will learn what a glyph is, how to use glyphs to organize data and will enjoy seeing their work on graphs in the classroom.
The glyphs are also written with an emphasis on the use of SIGHT WORDS (High Frequency Words)
. What a great way to work on reading and math skills at the same time!
Glyphs are a guaranteed success with your children! Parents also like being able to see the educational value in “cute” activities.
- Two glyphs are given in case you start school early in August. One is a tree with apples where students follow directions in the easy-to-use legend and cut and paste to make the glyph. A great way to break the ice at the beginning of the year!
The second one is based on teachable character traits. Students color according to the legend. The legend uses sight color words and is a great way to start the year off with teaching how to be kind.
- Students follow the easy-to-follow legend to color pieces of a jack-o-lantern. Then they cut out the pieces and assemble! Also included are Graphing Data Title Cards in both color and black and white for your printing preference.
- Students follow the reading legend to color turkey pieces. Then they cut the pieces out to assemble a turkey!
- Students follow the reading legend to color a Christmas elves workshop scene. A worksheet is included for individual glyph data.
There is an “extra” glyph (super hero) to use if your school does not celebrate Christmas!
- Snowman with an option of some cut and paste pieces. A vertical class graph is included as well as 2 different versions of the legend for you to choose from.
- Valentine’s Day picture with 2 different versions of the legend for you to choose from.
- Choose from 2 different versions of the legend for coloring a Leprechaun. Also includes a worksheet for individual data. Great for reading practice or you can use as an assessment! Also 2 different ways to graph the data.
- Earth Day glyph. Worksheet for individual data and a class data sheet. Example of how to graph the class information is given.
- Glyph for Mother’s Day with worksheet for individual data.
BONUS – Superhero
Extra glyph to use in place of one of the months or use in addition to a month! A boy and a girl superhero. If you only have 5 boys in your class, only make 5 copies of the boy hero. You have your choice of 2 different legends and 2 different graphs to interpret the data.
Want TpT credits
to use on future purchases? Just look next to your purchase. There is a “Provide Feedback” button. When you click it, you’ll be taken to a page where you can give a rating and leave positive feedback. TPT credits will be given!
Take a look at our blog for FUN teaching ideas and freebies!
The Fun Factory
If you have any problems or questions while using this product, please do not hesitate to contact us at email@example.com.