Students will love learning their spelling words and high frequency words with this activity!
Print and laminate to reuse!
Harcourt's Storytown 2nd grade Theme 1 Lesson 5
1. Deal 5 cards to each player and place the remaining cards in a pile on the middle of the table.
2. The player whose birthday is the closest to October 1st goes first. The first player will choose a card from their hand without showing it to the other player(s). He or she will ask another player if they have that word.
3. If the other player has the matching word, they must give it to the player. If they do not have the match, they will say “Go fish.” The asking player must then go fish and draw a card from the pile.
4. If a match is made by receiving a card from another player or by drawing from the center pile, the player keeps the match and gets a second turn. If a match is not made, the next player gets a turn
5. Continue until all the cards have been matched.
The fisherman or fisherwoman with the most matches wins the game!
I usually have the kiddos pick a card, ask their opponent by saying "Do you have the word spot, s-p-o-t?" so they get practice not just identifying and reading the word but spelling it.
For the high frequency word cards, I included a sentence that the children must read aloud as well.