Products in this Bundle (2)
If you are studying about Westward Expansion, the Oregon Trail, or the California Gold Rush this bundle was created just for you! It is all about the Gold Rush and includes an Escape Room, followed by an amazing STEM Challenge, and a reading resource.
NOTE: These resources in this bundle may be purchased separately. Just click on the titles.
NOTE: If you are looking for a reading resource and STEM Challenge without the Escape Room here it is:
PART 1: Gold Rush Escape Room
Included in the Escape Room file of this resource, you will find:
- Table of contents
- 4 pages of tips and tricks for setting up everything
- For Box 1- 2 pages of teacher directions, Gold Rush information cards, reading passage in two levels, and the box labels. Answer Keys included.
- For Box 2- 2 pages of teacher directions, graph sheet in two levels, and box labels. Answer Keys included.
- For Box 3 – 2 pages of teacher directions, map sheet, a practice map sheet, and box labels. Answer Keys included.
- Photo-Style Teacher’s Guide with a step-by-step section showing how to solve the task.
PART 2: STEM Challenge Build a Raft
Students build a flat bottom raft and then test its ability to float and hold a little bit of weight. You will love the easy prep for this challenge and the problem solving that occurs when the rafts begin to sink. Get ready for cheering or groaning as the rafts are tested!
The challenge file specifically includes:
- Teacher Overview
- 3-page Teacher’s Guide
- Criteria cards in 2 versions
- Lab sheet with sample answers
- 2 pages of photos
- Scoring rubric
- All forms are editable
Check the preview to see everything!
NOTE: The Escape Room event can be completed in 30-45 minutes. The addition of the suggested STEM Challenges will add an extra class session of at least 45 minutes.
NOTE: YOUR PREP for the Escape Room includes:
- Printing box labels, Gold Rush Info cards, Reading Task sheet, Graph Task sheet, Map Task sheet
- Copying the task sheets for each team
- Laminating the Box labels and Gold Rush cards and cutting these apart
- Preparing the locked boxes
There are optional items that can be printed and copied: certificates and posters
YOUR PREP for the STEM Challenge includes:
- Gathering materials (straw, craft sticks, and tape)
- Copying the lab sheet and criteria cards
- Preparing a water bin (a dishpan works great)
PART 3: Gold Rush Print and Read
The four reading passages are provided in two reading levels- an easier and a more challenging. The reading selections are about the discovery of gold in California in 1848, the hard life of a miner, different methods of mining for gold, and the stagecoach.
In addition, a newspaper mock-up article page is included that has more reading selections. The articles include the Pony Express, a timeline of the events from 1848-1855, the boom town of San Francisco, and fact boxes about the Pony Express and women during the gold rush. There is a comprehension question page for the newspaper set and 2 graphic organizers.
All answer keys are provided. Specific skills and Common Core standards are listed on the table of contents page.
Specific contents of this resource are:
- Selection 1- All for a Gold Nugget in 2 reading levels
- Selection 2- Striking It Rich in 2 reading levels
- Selection 3 – A Little Bit of Luck in 2 reading levels
- Selection 4 – Traveling in Style in 2 reading levels
- Newspaper Page- 4 articles (Delivering the Mail, Boom Town, Chain of Events, and A Few Facts)
- Newspaper Comprehension page and two graphic organizers
- Answer keys for all
- Table of Contents listing levels, skills, Common Core standards, and nonfiction text features
- Teacher's Guide with notes about reading levels, standards, organizations, and ideas for use
You might also like these Reading and Escape Room Bundles: