Grade 6 Math
Volume and Surface Area
This is a two page assessment that can be given as a quiz, review assignment, class work, or homework. And answer key is provided. It assesses:
• Volume of rectangular prisms and cubes
• Volume of rectangular prisms and cubes with fractional edges
• Real-world problem solving involving volume
• Drawing nets of 3-d figures
• Finding surface area of prisms and pyramids
• Solving Real-world problems involving surface area
The following common core grade 6 math standards are assessed:
6.NS.2 Fluently divide multi-digit numbers using the standard algorithm.
6.G.1 Find the area of right triangles, other triangles, special quadrilaterals, and polygons by composing into rectangles or decomposing into triangles and other shapes; apply these techniques in the context of solving real-world and mathematical problems.
6.G.2 Find the volume of a right rectangular prism with fractional edge lengths by packing it with unit cubes of the appropriate unit fraction edge lengths, and show that the volume is the same as would be found by multiplying the edge lengths of the prism. Apply the formulas V = l w h and V = b h to find volumes of right rectangular prisms with fractional edge lengths in the context of solving real-world and mathematical problems.