PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
Note: This unit is also available in color images only OR black and white images only.
“Gone Crazy in Alabama” is a wonderful, uplifting story about three sisters spending a 1969 summer at their grandma’s home in Alabama. The story revolves around family relationships. This literature study unit of “Gone Crazy in Alabama” is a rich, full unit including comprehension questions, a focus on writing a summary, and learning vocabulary for each chapter. This unit includes everything needed to delve into the book with an individual, small group, or entire class!
Teacher Copy Includes:
Related Common Core Standards; Chapter Summaries, Vocabulary, Vocabulary Definitions, Questions, Suggested Answers to Questions; Character Comparison Chart: template and completed chart comparing the 3 main characters Delphine, Vonetta and Fern; Plot information: main setting(s); character(s); climax; resolution.
**Differentiated Vocabulary options: 1. learners independently find unfamiliar words to define 2. learners are given a list of words, organized by chapter, to define while reading 3. learners are given a list of words with definitions to refer to while reading.
**Print multiple copies of the Frayer Vocabulary Template for learners to use while reading "Gone Crazy in Alabama". You could print many copies per learner OR have each learner keep a template to use as a reference for what to include in a vocabulary entry in their reading response notebook.
**Many questions are based on Fountas and PInnell Level Q Guided Reading Comprehension Questions.
**Note: Answers are given to help the teacher guide the discussion - especially if the teacher has not had time to thoroughly read the text. Allow learners to discuss their answers, probing for evidence from the text. A few questions do not include an answer, as the answers are interpretations from the text. It is your discretion as to how many questions should be answered, and whether the answers should be answered orally, in written form, or a combination.
Learner Copy Includes:
1. Chapter questions without lines: may be printed for learners as a packet or by chapter
2. Chapter response template (Option of color images or black and white) includes: lines for chapter summary (who, did what, where, when and why), directions to complete a Frayer Vocabulary template, and lines for answers to three chapter questions.
3. Chapter response page per chapter with lines to write a summary, directions to complete a Frayer Vocabulary template, questions including lines to answer each question.(Option in color or black and white)
4. Option of defined or undefined vocabulary words for each chapter
5. Template for completing Frayer Vocabulary Models
6. Blank Character Comparison Chart Template. (Option of color or black and white images)