Ready to go PAPERLESS?
Looking for a way for your students to discover facts about some of the famous authors in history? Here is a way your students can discover these historic figures that allows them to find out some basic facts, but also allows them to identify what they think is important about each person. Each biography card has the same format and allows students to gather a very brief snapshot of who these people were and what they did that contributed to the history of literature. Decide how many you'd like students to do and make a mini-research project out of it. Kids really enjoy this format!
Students will need access to Google Slides and if you use Google Classroom you can make a copy for each student and they can type directly in the file. No more copy machines!!
Also available as a paper version
32 Famous Authors in History: Paper Version
For each person students will identify the following:
Date of Birth
Date of Death
Contribution to Literature
The historic figures for this activity are:
The famous authors for this activity are:
1. Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn: One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich
2. Arthur Miller: Death of a Salesman/The Crucible
3. Charles Dickens: A Tale of Two Cities/Great Expectations
4. Edgar Allen Poe: The Raven/Tell-Tale Heart
5. Emile Bronte: Weathering Heights
6. Ernest Hemingway: The Old Man and the Sea
7. F. Scott Fitzgerald: The Great Gatsby
8. Frederick Douglass: The Narrative of Frederick Douglass
9. Fyodor Dostoyevsky: Crime and Punishment
10. George Orwell: 1984
11. Harper Lee: To Kill a Mockingbird
12. Henry David Thoreau: Walden/Civil Disobedience
13. Homer: The Iliad and The Odyssey
14. Jane Austen: Pride and Prejudice
15. John Steinbeck: Of Mice and Men
16. Kurt Vonnegut: Cat’s Cradle
17. Louisa May Alcott: Little Women
18. Mark Twain: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
19. Mary Shelly: Frankenstein
20. Maya Angelou: I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
21. Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra: Don Quixote
22. Nathaniel Hawthorne: The Scarlet Letter
23. Ray Bradbury: Fahrenheit 451
24. Samuel Beckett: Waiting for Godot
25. Solomon Northup: Twelve Years a Slave
26. Sophocles: Oedipus Rex
27. Stephen Crane: The Red Badge of Courage
28. Tennessee Williams: A Streetcar Named Desire
29. Thornton Wilder: Our Town
30. Upton Sinclair: The Jungle
31. Virginia Wolfe: To The Lighthouse
32. William Shakespeare: Hamlet/Romeo & Juliet/Othello
This has worked well for my students so I hope yours find the same success!
Check out the paper version
of some of my other History Trading Cards:
32 Famous Figures from the Civil War Era: Trading Cards to Complete
32 Famous Authors in History: Trading Cards to Complete
32 Famous European Explorers: Trading Cards to Complete
32 Famous Reformers from the Progressive Era (1890-1920): Trading Cards to Complete
32 Famous Scientists in History: Trading Cards to Complete
32 Famous Women in American History: Trading Cards to Complete
32 Famous Figures from World War II: Trading Cards to Complete
32 Famous Figures from the Industrial Revolution: Trading Cards to Complete
For a GREAT classroom management tool check out my BEST-SELLER!
Student Conferencing "Deli-Style"
See ALL of my History Resources!
Great History Resources for Middle School
Connect with Surviving Social Studies...
Be sure to follow my TpT store by clicking on the ‘Follow Me’ next to my logo to receive notifications of new products and upcoming sales.
Follow me on Pinterest
Follow me on Instagram
Thanks for stopping by!
Surviving Social Studies