Start the Aztec and Maya unit with a fun, student-centered, inquiry-based Google Geography Exploration and Scavenger Hunt! This comprehensive Google Aztec and Maya-Mexico Geography lesson has been both student and teacher approved with an overwhelming thumbs-up! It embodies all of the cool geography capabilities of Google Maps and Google Earth in a digital Mexico geography interactive notebook format complete with a Google forms physical geography assessment at the end.
In this inquiry-based learning activity, students research how geography shaped the lives of early Americans through a scaffolded Google Slides, Google Maps, Google Earth and Google Forms geography investigation. Here’s what they get to do:
☺A Satellite Map Investigation
- Students preview the continent and make predictions about a focus question using outstanding, visually rich satellite maps that provide the big picture.
☺A Virtual Field Trip Google Slides Presentation
- Students take a closer look with a visually rich key physical feature Google Slides presentation.
☺ A Label the Feature Google Slide Presentation
- Key physical features for the unit are labeled upon each click.
☺A Google Slides Interactive Fill-In-the-Blank Geography Activity
– Students fill in the pre-made label spots after they study using the map provided.
☺A Pile of Features Interactive Activity
– Students drag the physical feature label to the appropriate spot on the satellite map.
☺A Google Maps Close Reading and Interactive Activity
– Students click on the highlighted civilization and read about how they adapted to their geographic location. Then, students use the words provided in a Google Slides word bank the summarize the reading.
☺A Google Earth Scavenger Hunt
– Students are given coordinates to research in Google Earth. Then, students identify and describe the location after they have “flown there”.
☺A Google Forms Physical Geography Quiz
– Students answer multiple choice questions based on the same physical features map they studied and labeled earlier.
Use the same lesson over and over until students earn geography content mastery!
⇒ Be sure to FOLLOW us on:
TPT to receive notifications of new products, sales, and notes to followers. Just click the “follow me” button.
for creative classroom ideas, lessons, and more.
for laughs and to see products at use in the classroom.
for interesting articles, posts, & tips!
for random acts of teaching @instructomania
Check out our website & blog
©Instructomania, Inc. All rights reserved by Tony and Erika Pavlovich. This product is to be used by the original downloader only. Additional teachers must purchase their own license. If you are a teacher, principal or district interested in purchasing several licenses, TPT now offers multiple license options.
About Instructomania with Mr. & Mrs. P:
World History includes both Ancient and Medieval history lesson plans and complete unit packets. In the Ancient history and Medieval history curriculum you will find lesson plans and activities that support inquiry-based learning through evidence-driven literacy and writing that aligns with Common Core. Our student-centered Social Science lessons teach students to analyze social studies content by using the key the concepts of geography, economy, achievements, religion, social classes and government. Students use academic vocabulary, in highly engaging, fun history investigations, interactive Google ready content, visually rich graphic organizer resources and thematic assignments.
US History includes content rich, primary source-driven United States history lessons and activities. Students use critical thinking, in our skill-based lessons that have student analyze historical documents, charts and primary resources. Our U.S. History units are also key concept based. Students analyze the growth and challenges faced by the United States through the use of the key concepts of federalism, republicanism government, diversity, territorial expansion, rights and liberties, labor systems and economy. A common theme throughout our lessons is that students support claims with evidence from secondary and primary source text.
Science lessons can be used in the middle and high school classrooms. Our science lessons are student centered and include lab activities, classroom activities, research projects. All of these science lessons are created to encourage student engagement support the Common Core and NGSS standards.
Tony Pavlovich, Instructomania, Mexico History Geography Lesson, US Geography Lesson, Aztec Geograpy Lesson, Maya Geography Lesson, Americas Geography lesson