This is a great lesson for working on slightly more complex math in Google Sheets using some common basketball stats. Here, students enter some fictional data for an NBA team and calculate things such as Field Goal %, Free Throw %, Rebounds Per Game and Points Per Game. Students must use some order of operations and brackets to make the math work out properly.
A valuable shortcut called "Filling Down" is demonstrated so that students can click and drag to quickly reuse the functions and avoid retyping. Students also review basic formatting in Google Sheets including changing fonts, colors, etc...
The instructions come in the form of an interactive .pdf file, which allows students to navigate throughout the document by clicking buttons, click on a linked up Table of Contents, and toggle between full screen mode and normal viewing mode. Students enjoy this measure of control over how they get around the instructions, and they are quickly and easily able to backtrack and review information using the Table of Contents.
Google Sheets is basically like an online version of Excel. It is a great alternative to Excel in that it allows for student collaboration and for students to access their work wherever they have an internet connection!
Please feel free to contact me with questions or comments regarding this assignment! I hope that you find it useful and I look forward to hearing from you.
Included in this package:
- a .pdf teacher instruction file with plenty of screenshots and clear instructions.
- a sample answer file (Excel format)
- Take the time to do this activity yourself prior to presenting to the students so you are familiar with the steps.
- Some students may want to use different players or teams and this is OK of course. They may like the security of their numbers matching up with the sample numbers so that they know they are building the functions properly.
- You also may want to demo a finished answer and show them that they can change the data and the math will update.
This lesson is part of the Google Sheets Bundle that I offer which you can find at: Google Sheets Bundle - 8 Great Lessons for Beginners
Others you might like:
Google Sheets Bundle - 8 Great Lessons for Beginners
Google Sheets - School Grades Math Lesson
Google Docs Lesson Bundle - 4 Essential lessons for beginners
Excel 2010 Beginner Lesson Bundle