In this activity, the concept is that the students have just been hired at a new catering company called “Frank’s Catering”. The company is so new they literally have had just one job, to cater a retirement party for a local family doctor. Your job is to organize the paper copy (a screen shot of the "paper" is provided) of an invoice into a digital invoice constructed in Google Sheets. Essentially, students will need to type in the data and set up the Sheet so that the calculations happen automatically.
Along the way students will learn many skills, including the following:
- Using built in Math functions such as PRODUCT for multiplication and MINUS for subtraction
- Creating custom functions to calculate tax, total, discount and grand total
- Using "Named ranges" instead of cell references to simplify the process of creating functions
- Formatting tips and shortcuts
This lesson would be appropriate for experienced beginners to intermediate level users of Google Sheets. If you would like to check out more beginner level material I have compiled, please feel free to check out Google Sheets Bundle - 10 Great Lessons for Beginners
The instructions come in the form of an interactive .pdf file, which allows students to navigate throughout the document by clicking buttons, click on a linked up Table of Contents, and toggle between full-screen mode and normal viewing mode. Students enjoy this measure of control over how they get around the instructions, and they are quickly and easily able to backtrack and review information using the Table of Contents.
Google Sheets is basically like an online version of Excel. It is a great alternative to Excel in that it allows for student collaboration and for students to access their work wherever they have an internet connection!
Please feel free to contact me with questions or comments regarding this assignment! I hope that you find it useful and I look forward to hearing from you.
Included in this package:
- a .pdf teacher instruction file with plenty of screenshots and clear instructions.
- a text file which contains links to the answer files.
- Take the time to do this activity yourself prior to presenting to the students so you are familiar with the steps.
Others you might like:
Google Sheets Bundle - 10 Great Lessons for Beginners
Google Sheets - School Grades Math Lesson
Google Docs Lesson Bundle - 4 Essential lessons for beginners
Excel 2010 Beginner Lesson Bundle