This detailed, comprehensive activity is perfect for late beginner to intermediate level Google Sheets users. Students take on the role of fitness instructors who are creating a multi table Google Sheet to better organize their client, service, and billing information. Additionally, students learn useful real world tricks and tips to promote accurate data entry and simple data analysis.
Along the way students will learn many skills, including the following:
- Using Named Ranges and drop down lists to create better data entry and validation
- Making use of the powerful VLOOKUP function to simplify and automate parts of the data entry process
- Creating Pivot Tables to create valuable alternate views of important information
- Formatting tips and shortcuts
As stated above, this lesson would be appropriate for experienced beginners to intermediate level users of Google Sheets. If you would like to check out more beginner level material I have compiled, please feel free to check out Google Sheets Bundle - 10 Great Lessons for Beginners
The instructions come in the form of an interactive .pdf file, which allows students to navigate throughout the document by clicking buttons, click on a linked up Table of Contents, and toggle between full-screen mode and normal viewing mode. Students enjoy this measure of control over how they get around the instructions, and they are quickly and easily able to backtrack and review information using the Table of Contents.
Google Sheets is basically like an online version of Excel. It is a great alternative to Excel in that it allows for student collaboration and for students to access their work wherever they have an internet connection!
Please feel free to contact me with questions or comments regarding this assignment! I hope that you find it useful and I look forward to hearing from you.
Included in this package:
- a .pdf teacher instruction file with plenty of screenshots and clear instructions.
- a text file which contains links to the answer files.
- Take the time to do this activity yourself prior to presenting to the students so you are familiar with the steps.
Others you might like:
Google Sheets Bundle - 10 Great Lessons for Beginners
Google Sheets - School Grades Math Lesson
Google Docs Lesson Bundle - 4 Essential lessons for beginners
Excel 2010 Beginner Lesson Bundle