In this Government class activity your students will learn about the different forms of government and how they can be classified (direct/representative democracy, theocracy, oligarchy, monarchy, parliamentary, presidential etc.)by using real world government examples. For example, students will examine how a real world monarchy, like the one used in Saudi Arabia, affects life in Saudi Arabia. The overall essential question is: What is it really like to live in countries with different forms of government? This lesson includes a 4 Full Color slide power-point, 8 student worksheets/graphic organizers, 6 short readings/articles, and links to 4 public access internet videos.
In this activity, your students will:
1) Complete Cornell Style Notes on the Forms/Classification of Governments used around the world from a short 4 slide power-point. (worksheet included)
2) Either work in small groups or individually (teacher choice) to examine a specific form of government through the articles, and videos provided, to understand what it is really like to live in that country under that specific form of government.
• The 4 countries featured are: Saudi Arabia (Monarchy/Theocracy), North Korea (Communism/Dictatorship), U.S.A (Presidential-Representative Democracy)and Scotland (Parliamentary-Representative Democracy)
3) Record their research on a worksheet and graphic organizer. (included)
4) Complete a creative assessment/exit card to illustrate their understanding of the different forms of government. (Included)
Teacher STEP-BY-STEP directions are included.
Want more Government resources?
U.S. Government ~7 Videos and Corresponding Student Worksheets~
U.S. Government: Federalism ~Student Activities~
U.S. Government: How a Bill becomes Law Graphic Organizer
US Government: Executive Branch Activities & Video
U.S. Constitution: The Legislative Branch Student Handbook Activity
~7 Activity~ U.S. Government Bundle