This packet is aligned with the Ontario Mathematics curriculum expectations for grade 1. You might choose to use this activity packet with students in Grade 2 who might need to review the concepts learned from Grade 1 or who might need some more reinforcement. This activity packet is split into three parts. Each part is separated with a title page and includes activity suggestion plans as well as relevant activity worksheets. Each activity suggestion plan includes a whole-class activity, an individual activity as well as a consolidation activity suggestion.
Through PART 1: GEOMETRIC PROPERTIES students:
• Identify and describe common two-dimensional shapes;
• Sort and classify common two-dimensional shapes by their attributes;
• Trace and identify two-dimensional faces of three-dimensional figures;
• Identify and describe common three-dimensional shapes;
• Sort and classify common three-dimensional shapes by their attributes;
• Describe similarities and differences between everyday objects and three-dimensional figures;
• Locate shapes in the environment that have symmetry.
Through PART 2: GEOMETRIC RELATIONSHIPS students:
• Compose patterns, pictures, and designs using common two-dimensional shapes;
• Identify and describe shapes within other shapes;
• Build three-dimensional structures and describe the two-dimensional shapes the structures contain;
• Cover outline puzzles with two-dimensional shapes;
Through PART 3: LOCATION AND MOVEMENT students:
• Describe the relative locations of objects or people using positional language;
• Describe the relative locations of objects on maps created in the classroom;
• Create symmetrical designs and pictures;
This packet includes cut and paste activities, sorting activities as well as hands-on activities that encourage students to explore symmetry, two-dimensional and three-dimensional shapes.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me. Check out the preview for more information!