This is a full year’s developmentally appropriate spelling programme for 6 year old children. It is designed to provide teachers with optimal information about their students’ spelling knowledge before setting the course for each child. The emphasis is on learning and applying the spelling rules and conventions, and on targeting the child’s specific needs. By following this programme, the children in my class have made impressive progress, as well as enjoying the fun aspect included with the activities and the games. Parents have appreciated being involved with the “helping at home” activities too.
Included in this download you will find:
• Instructions for teachers
• Instructions for parents with ideas of how parents can help at home
• A spelling test to help set each child’s programme for the term or year – the test can also be used to check progress of the children at any time. The test also gives a sentence containing each word to help children put the words into context for ease of administration
• Spelling test sheet for children to record their responses when doing the spelling test
• 46 lists in total – enough for an entire year, including high frequency words
• A set of 46 spelling lists - each list includes:
> Up to 5 words which follow the rule to be learned (spelling pattern is colour coded)
> A high frequency word to learn (colour coded)
> A description of the spelling convention being learned in each list
In my classroom, I have laminated each list and I keep several sets of lists in a central place so that children have easy access when they need to record their new spellings into their spelling books. You could print the lists your children need and paste them into the children’s workbooks if you prefer.
• Ideas for parents to help their children at home
• An activity sheet which may be photocopied to provide a scaffold for daily or weekly practise at home or at school
• A format for further practise comprising more activities to help children use all of their senses in learning and retaining the spellings, for use at home or at school
It is useful to paste all of the activity suggestions into a little booklet for each child. In my classroom, children do the first sheet at school so that I can monitor them and target any difficulties which may arise. Children then take the booklets home to complete some of the activities with the support of their parents. I also include a copy of the instructions to parents in the booklet for parents’ easy reference.
Thank you for looking at my product. If you find it useful, you might also like my Grade 2 – Spellings for a Year for 7 year olds (aimed at Grade 2 children)