Looking for an engaging and hands-on resource that teaches students about materials, objects and everyday structures? This packet is just for you! The Grade 1 – Unit 2: “Materials, Objects and Everyday Structures” unit. This activity packet provides you with lessons, activities, readings and rubrics that can be used to address the following Grade 1 Ontario Science overall expectations:
- Assess the impact on people and the environment of objects and structures and the materials used in them.
- Investigate structures that are built for a specific purpose to see how their design and materials suit the purpose.
- Demonstrate an understanding that objects and structures have observable characteristics and are made from materials with specific properties that determine how they are used.
This packet is also designed to address the following big ideas:
- Objects have observable characteristics and are made from materials.
- Materials have specific properties.
- An object is held together by its structure.
- The materials and structure of an object determine its purpose.
- Humans make choices related to their use of objects and materials that have a direct effect on the environment.
What LESSONS are included in this packet?
This packet is thorough in the sense that it includes 24 lessons. Some lessons are designed to set the stage for students in terms of content knowledge and terminology, and other lessons are designed to have students further investigate structures, materials and objects.
Lesson 2.1: My Five Senses
Lesson 2.2: Five Senses Labs
Lesson 2.3: What is an Object?
Lesson 2.4: What are Materials?
Lesson 2.5: Exploring Materials
Lesson 2.6: Materials
Lesson 2.7: Properties of Materials
Lesson 2.8: The Three Little Pigs
Lesson 2.9: Purposes of Structures
Lesson 2.10: Iggy Peck, Architect
Lesson 2.11: Exploring Bridges
Lesson 2.12: Natural or Man-Made
Lesson 2.13: Natural Sources
Lesson 2.14: Fasteners
Lesson 2.15: Structure Stability
Lesson 2.16: Waste Produced
Lesson 2.17: Reducing Waste
Lesson 2.18: Waste Plan
Lesson 2.19: Objects and Purposes
Lesson 2.20: Objects and Purposes
Lesson 2.21: Building Structures (Beginning)
Lesson 2.22: Building Structures (What makes a good labelled drawing?)
Lesson 2.23: Building Structures (What makes a good model?)
Lesson 2.24: Building Structures (What makes a good presentation?)
Each lesson includes a lesson introduction, core learning activity and a lesson consolidation. Each lesson plan also includes a side bar that lists the expectation addressed, learning goal, materials needed, assessment and the success criteria for the lesson. The lessons at a glance pages at the beginning of the unit provide you with a connection to the big idea, guiding questions and the learning that students will be able to complete by the end of the lesson.
What ASSESSMENTS are included?
There are 2 tasks included in this packet that have students demonstrate their understanding of the above curriculum expectations. There are 8 rubrics to assess student understanding of the concepts addressed in this unit. Please note that there are a few answer keys provided in this packet, as many activities involve an open answer and it is up to you to determine whether students have appropriately demonstrated their knowledge. There is no final quiz, but students are asked to share their learning throughout the unit and through the use of exit cards.
I am here to help! If you have any questions about this unit, or any of my units, please leave me a question under the Q&A tab below. Or, you can email me at email@example.com.