The Grade 10, CHC 2D, Unit 1: Canada, 1914 - 1929
activity packet is aligned with the Ontario Canada and World Studies curriculum document. This packet has students explore Canada between 1914 and 1929 using a variety of lenses such as a social, economic and political lens. Students explore how individuals, organizations, and social changes contributed to the development of identity, citizenship, and heritage. Students also explore how national and international events, trends and developments affected groups in Canada. The main portion of this unit focuses on World War 1 and the impact of the war on Canadian society.
Overall Expectations Addressed:
- Social, Economic and Political Context: Describe some key social, economic, and political events, trends, and developments between 1914 and 1929, and assess their significance for different groups in Canada.
- Communities, Conflict, and Cooperation: Analyze some key interactions within and between different communities in Canada, and between Canada and the international community, from 1914 to 1929, and how they affected Canadian society and politics.
- Identity, Citizenship, and Heritage: Explain how various individuals, organizations, and specific social changes between 1914 and 1929 contributed to the development of identity, citizenship, and heritage in Canada.
- National and international events, trends, and developments during this period affected various groups in Canada in different ways.
- This was a period of major conflict and change in Canada and abroad.
- During this period, predominant attitudes towards women, and towards immigrants, First Nations, Metis, Inuit, and other minority groups, affected the development of Canadian identity and citizenship.
Lesson 1.1: Introducing the Unit
Lesson 1.2: The Beginning of a War
Lesson 1.3: Canada and the War
Lesson 1.4: Life at War
Lesson 1.5: Consequences of War
Lesson 1.6: Treaty of Versailles
Lesson 1.7: Social and Political Conflict
Lesson 1.8: Contribution of Group
Lesson 1.9: The Roaring Twenties
Lesson 1.10: Cultural Communities
Lesson 1.11: Women's Roles
Lesson 1.12: First Nations
Lesson 1.13: Historical Figures
Lesson 1.14: Bringing it Together
Activities, Readings and Assignments:
This packet includes 63 activities, 5 posters, 8 rubrics, 11 readings and 4 assignments.
Assignment 1.1: Canada & Battles during WW1
Assignment 1.2: Historical Figures
Assignment 1.3: Canada, 1914 - 1929
Assignment 1.4: Canada, 1914 - 1929 Reflection Journal
There are also 4 exit cards and 3 reflections presented in this packet.
Please note that there are no answer keys provided in this packet. Student responses are based on the information they have researched, and any information needed for the responses can be found in readings and on supplemental websites. There is no quiz or test presented in this packet. Students demonstrate their understanding in other ways.
Find Teaching in a Wonderland on Social Media:
Follow me on social media to be the first to know about new product releases, giveaways and contests.
Teaching in a Wonderland on Facebook
This product is allowed to be used in the purchaser's classroom only. If you wish to share this resource with another colleague, or parent, please purchase an additional license at a discounted price. This product is not to be posted online, in whole or in part, without Teaching in a Wonderland's permission. This product is not to be altered in any way and sold as a new product.
I am here to help! If you have any questions about this unit, or any of my units, please leave me a question under the Q&A tab below. Or, you can email me at email@example.com.
Have a product request?
Please fill out this Google Form to request a product to be made.