It is a complete ready to go English as a Second Language (ESL) exam for upper-secondary (or intermediate) students. It contains:
- a reading comprehension with 10 multi-choice questions. The reading is fiction and contains words like: decided / goal / superb / boring / hungry / interrupt / immediately / ages / gorgeous /ask out.
- a dialogue section with 10 multi-choice questions. The dialogue uses food idioms, such as: chew the fat / not my cup of tea / a piece of cake / as cool as a cucumber / hot potato.
- a vocabulary section with 10 fill in the blank choices (from a box of 11 words). The vocabulary words are: settle down / work out / head of / inherit / stereotype / nags / boomerang / depressing / conflict / salary / psychologist.
- a grammar section (closed passage, 10 questions) about connectors: and / but / so / or / because / for / while / during / when.
- a writing section about order of adjectives and position of adverbs in sentence construction.
An answer key is included.
This exam was used with grade 12 ESL students in Thailand. Strong students were able to score well. Weaker students did less well, so I believe the test is a fair representation of ESL ability.
The whole exam can be edited.