The "Expressions and Equality" activity packet is aligned with the Ontario Grade 2 mathematics curriculum expectations. This packet requires the use of concrete materials such as connecting cubes and square tiles to help students understand and meet the following expectations:
* Demonstrate an understanding of the concept of equality by partitioning whole numbers to 18 in a variety of ways;
* Represent two number expressions that are equal, using the equal sign;
* Determine the missing number in equations involving addition and subtraction to 18;
* Identify and use the commutative property of addition;
* Identify the properties of zero in addition and subtraction;
This packet can be used by high flying Grade 1 students or students in Grade 3 who need more assistance with expressions and equality. This packet is part of the Algebra portion of the "Patterning and Algebra" strand. This packet includes hands-on lessons and activities that meet the above expectations. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.