This bundle includes all 24 of my grade 3 Common Core Reading worksheets. (see list below)
Each story/poem is followed by a series of multiple choice questions aligned with various strands of the CCSS Grade 3 English Language Arts Standards for Reading.
Those strands are:
RL.3.1 -- Ask and answer questions to demonstrate understanding of a text, referring explicitly to the text as the basis for the answers.
RL.3.2 -- Recount stories, including fables, folktales, and myths from diverse cultures; determine the central message, lesson, or moral and explain how it is conveyed through key details in the text.
RL.3.3 -- Describe characters in a story (e.g., their traits, motivations, or feelings) and explain how their actions contribute to the sequence of events
RL.3.4 -- Determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in a text, distinguishing literal from nonliteral language.
RL.3.5 -- Refer to parts of stories, dramas, and poems when writing or speaking about a text, using terms such as chapter, scene, and stanza; describe how each successive part builds on earlier sections.
RL.3.6 -- Distinguish their own point of view from that of the narrator or those of the characters.
RL.3.7 -- Explain how specific aspects of a text’s illustrations contribute to what is conveyed by the words in a story (e.g., create mood, emphasize aspects of a character or setting)
RL.3.9 -- Compare and contrast the themes, settings, and plots of stories written by the same author about the same or similar characters (e.g., in books from a series)
RL.3.10 -- By the end of the year, read and comprehend literature, including stories, dramas, and poetry, at the high end of the grades 2–3 text complexity band independently and proficiently.
RF.3.3 -- Know and apply grade-level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding words.
RF.3.4 -- Read with sufficient accuracy and fluency to support comprehension.
DOK – 1; Depth of Knowlege Level One: Recall
DOK – 2; Depth of Knowledge Level Two: Skill/Concept
DOK – 3; Depth of Knowledge Level Three: Strategic Thinking
These worksheets are great for homework, test prep, review, and learning a variety of content.
The stories and poems included are:
1. The Fox and the Blackbird by Valery Carrick
2. “Thanksgiving Day” by Lydia Marie Child
3. “My Shadow” by Robert Louis Stevenson
4. Cat and Mice
5. “The City Mouse and the Garden Mouse” by Christina Rossetti
6. from The Railway Children by Edith Nesbit
7. from The Railway Children—Part II by Edith Nesbit
8. from The Railway Children—Part III by Edith Nesbit
9. Bunny Rabbit’s Diary by Mary Frances Blaisdell
10. “Where Go the Boats?” by Robert Louis Stevenson
11. A Nursery Rhyme
12. The Story of the Three Little Pigs by Joseph Jacobs
13. How the Fly Saved the River
14. The Hare and the Hedgehog by Augusta Stevenson
15. “The Land of Nod” by Robert Louis Stevenson
16. The Travelers and the Purse
17. Two Poems with the Same Title:
“The Wind” by Christina Rossetti
“The Wind” by Robert Louis Stevenson
18 .The Boy Who Cried Wolf by Augusta Stevenson
19. Three Limericks by Edward Lear
20. Three More Limericks by Edward Lear
21. The Emperor’s New Clothes by Hans Christian Andersen
22. Red Sails and Blue Wings from The Story of Doctor Dolittle by Hugh Lofting
23.Two Readings by Louisa May Alcott from Little Women and Little Men
24. The Camel and the Jackal: A Hindu Story
If you're buying these worksheets for a class, consider purchasing the full 3rd Grade Common Core Reading Value Bundle: You'll save 50% compared to buying the 48 packets individually!
Buy a Value Bundle
and save 50%
Visit my store!