This low-prep, easy to follow 3-part math lesson has everything you need to teach students how to measure the area of different shapes (i.e. shapes other than rectangles). Help your students to develop a deep conceptual understanding of area by using hands-on problem solving, questioning, and purposeful talk.
Follow lesson from beginning to end and top to bottom! Included is:
- A carefully selected quick minds-on activity to activate student thinking
- A word problem or task to illicit student solutions you can use for debriefing the lesson afterward
- Sample solutions for your reference so you can quickly identify the student solutions you will use
- Clearly explained teacher notes that will help you link student solutions and mathematical concepts, all leading your students to a deeper conceptual understanding of area
- Student friendly learning goals and success criteria
- Easy to print copies of the problem (one for each group)
- An independent practice problem to give students extra practice and can be used as a quick assessment for your records
***A fully editable Word version of all problems is included!***
We continue to create three part lessons and unit plans for different math strands so follow us to find out when new resources are available!
Jen and Dawn Educational Resources meet the Ontario Curriculum Expectations.