Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
Compiling resources to authentically teach about Indigenous people (First Nations, Aboriginal people) can be challenging and time consuming. With this bundle, I've done the work for you!
Buy now and you will get all of my Indigenous cultures resources at an amazing price and in one convenient download.
Canada's Indigenous People Inquiry Unit
♥ Guiding Inquiry Questions
- 6 samples are included
♥ Lesson 1: Introduction to Culture
- Web activity
- Venn diagram
♥ Lesson 2: What are Basic Needs?
- Ticket out the Door
- Cut and paste sorting activity
♥ Lesson 3: Indigenous Place Names in Canada
- Mapping activity with place names and their meanings for provinces and territories, capital cities, and other communities across Canada
- Bonus activity specific to British Columbia
- Powerpoint lesson
- Student prediction and recording sheet
- Anchor charts
- 4 Articles (Longhouses, Teepees, Igloos, and Wigwams)
- Jigsaw activity with interactive notebook pieces
- 3 articles (types of totem poles, symbols, colours)
- options for making your own class totems with samples and instructions
♥ Lesson 7: Indigenous Storytelling
- Mentor text suggestions
- Lesson plan for students to write their own legends
♥ Lesson 8: Inquiry Research Project
- Research project partner planning sheet
- Options for student recording pages
- Poster blackline master
- 2 Options for assessment
- Student work samples
♥ Lesson 9: Treaties
- Numbered Treaties anchor chart
- Research project instructions and assessment
- Study sheet, test, answer key
Informational articles on specific cultures of Canada and global cultures
These seven to ten page articles cover the following topics:
♥ Tools and Weapons
♥ Law and Order (global cultures)
♥ Travel (Canadian cultures)
Real images are used to supplement the information. Two versions of the article are included for most - one with color images and one with black and white.
Note: This downloads as a .zip file!
This unit perfectly aligns with the *new* Grade 3 Curriculum in British Columbia (BC), but will work great across Canada:
Indigenous Peoples Curriculum Connections
Alberta: Grade 5
Saskatchewan: Grade 4
Manitoba: Grade 5
New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia: Grade 5
Northwest Territories and Nunavut: Grade 2 (Some modifications may need to be required at this grade level.)
♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦
Leave feedback on this item to earn credit toward future TpT purchases!
I appreciate your feedback! It gives me the information I need to continue creating high-quality products for your classroom!
Be the first to know about my new products and freebies!
Look for the green star near my store name and click it to become a follower.
You will receive customized e-mail updates about my store!
Feel free to e-mail me with any questions about this product at: email@example.com and connect with me for classroom ideas & resources, freebies, and more product details at any or all of the links below!