Bundled Unit. See individual Units for more samples.
Includes Cliff Hanger, Ballad of Mulan, and The Lost and Found Supplemental Materials.
FOCUS ON CHARACTER
All Stories Include
- Spelling lists and strategies (L 3.2)
- Brain Activate
- Vocabulary cards for word wall
- Vocabulary Dominoes (can also be cut apart and used for matching game)
-Graphic organizers (RL 3.1, RL 3.2, RL 3.3)
Big Ideas Covered: What do good readers do?
• Good readers connect to character’s experiences to empathize with them.
• Readers pay attention to and envision the way a character behaves to learn about them
• Readers create theories about their characters based on the details they notice
• Readers pay attention to and envision the way a character behaves to learn about them. Look for clues in the story
that reveal what your character is like.
• Readers use empathy for characters to make predictions about what characters will do next
• Readers learn more about their character by noticing when characters act differently from themselves
• Readers notice and think about places that characters go to learn more about their characters
• Readers find patterns in a characters behavior to grow theories about them