In the Grade 3: Living and Working in Ontario
unit students learn about the physical and municipal regions of Ontario. Students are asked to explore the relationship between the natural environment, land use, and employment opportunities, and how different uses of land and resources affect the environment. Students will learn that the natural features of the environment influence land use and the type of employment that is available in a region.
This activity packet provides you with lessons, activities, readings and rubrics that can be used to address the following Grade 3 Social Studies overall expectations:
- Demonstrate an understanding of some key aspects of the interrelationship between the natural environment, land use, employment opportunities, and the development of municipal regions in Ontario.
- Use the social studies inquiry process to investigate some of the environmental effects of different types of land and/or resource use in Ontario municipal regions, as well as some of the measures taken to reduce the negative impact of that use.
- Describe major landform regions and types of land use in Ontario and some of the ways in which land use in various Ontario municipalities addresses human needs and wants, including the need for jobs.
This packet also addresses the following big ideas:
- The natural features of the environment influence land use and the type of employment that is available in a region.
- Human activities and decisions about land use may alter the environment.
- Human activities affect the environment, but the environment also affects human activities.
What lessons are included in this packet?
This packet is thorough in the sense that it includes 20 in-depth lessons that help to cover the specific and overall expectations as well as the big ideas. Some lessons are designed to set the stage for students in terms of content knowledge and terminology, and other lessons are designed to have students further investigate what it is like to live and work in Ontario. The lessons included in this packet are:
Lesson 2.1: Introducing the Unit
Lesson 2.2: Exploring Ontario
Lesson 2.3: Municipalities
Lesson 2.4: Municipality Hunt
Lesson 2.5: Landform Regions
Lesson 2.6: Comparing Regions
Lesson 2.7: Employment
Lesson 2.8: Comparing Municipalities
Lesson 2.9: Exploring Municipalities
Lesson 2.10: Making Use of the Land
Lesson 2.11: Needs and Wants
Lesson 2.12: The Impact of Land Use
Lesson 2.13: Comparing Land Use
Lesson 2.14: Comparing Land Use
Lesson 2.15: Land Use and Regions
Lesson 2.16: Human Impact
Lesson 2.17: Population Distribution
Lesson 2.18: Reading Human Impact
Lesson 2.19: Let's Review
Lesson 2.20: Unit Test
There are also 7 readings included in this packet along with 31 activity worksheets. There is a set of vocabulary cards and partner question cards included as well.
What assessments are included in this packet?
In this packet, you will find 6 rubrics that can be used to assess some of the key activities in this unit. There are 3 reflections included in this packet that address a variety of concepts presented in this unit. There is one final test in this packet that addresses some of the key concepts and understandings students should have gained in the reading.
There are some activities in this packet that contain rubrics. These activities are not necessarily considered formal assignments, but they can be used as such. There are also 5 self-assessments and 7 exit cards that can be used at the end of each given lesson to assess student understanding of the key concepts.
Please note that there are no formal answer keys presented in this packet as many of the activities and questions presented in this packet are open-ended.
What assignments are included in this unit?
There are two assignments presented in this unit:
Assignment 2.1: Exploring Municipalities
Assignment 2.2: Comparing Land Use Research Assignment
I am here to help! If you have any questions about this unit, or any of my units, please leave me a question under the Q&A tab below. Or, you can email me at email@example.com.
Have a product request?
Please fill out this Google Form to request a product to be made.