The "Area and Perimeter" activity packet is aligned with the Ontario Grade 4 Mathematics curriculum expectations. As students are being introduced to measuring area and perimeter in standard units this packet includes activities where students measure perimeter using the centimetre and metre and calculate area using grid paper and centimetre squares. This packet does not teach students about the formulas for area and perimeter.
The expectations addressed in this packet are:
* Estimate, measure and record the perimeter and area of polygons;
* Select and justify the most appropriate standard unit to measure the side lengths and perimeters of various polygons;
* Determine the relationship between the side lengths of a rectangle and its perimeter and area;
* Pose and solve meaningful problems that require the ability to distinguish perimeter and area;
* Compare two-dimensional shapes that have the same perimeter or the same area;
This packet includes lessons and activity worksheets that are designed to be hands-on and engaging for students. This packet works well with high-flying Grade 3 students or students in Grade 5 who might need some reinforcement for their area and perimeter skills.
If you have any questions, please feel free to let me know. I'd be more than happy to answer them.