The “Mass and Capacity” activity packet is designed for students at the Grade 4 level. This packet is based on the Ontario Mathematics curriculum expectations. This packet moves away from students using non-standard units of measurement to measure the mass and capacity of objects and containers to use the standard units of measurement of the kilogram and the litre. Students also have the option of being introduced to the gram and the millilitre to ensure that they have a solid understanding of what the parts of the larger standard units of measurement are (i.e., the parts of a kilogram and the parts of a litre).
This activity packet includes 7 lessons along with corresponding activity worksheets as well as a mass and capacity quiz and journal responses. Please note that for this activity packet you will need to have access to the following materials:
- A balance scale;
- Kilogram weights and parts of a kilogram weights (you can make your own via the information provided in this packet);
- Containers of various sizes;
- Non-standard units of measurement;
These materials are required in order for students to develop and understanding of the standard units of measurement for measuring mass and capacity. This activity packet addresses the following expectations:
- Estimate, measure, and record the mass of objects using the standard units of the kilogram and the gram;
- Estimate, measure, and record the capacity of containers, using the standard units of the litre and the millilitre;
- Compare and order a collection of objects using standard units of mass and/or capacity;
- Determine the relationship between gram and kilograms;
- Determine the relationship between millilitres and litres;
- Select and justify the most appropriate standard unit to measure mass and the most appropriate standard unit to measure the capacity of a container;
- Estimate, measure and record volume and relate volume to the space taken up by an object
Students are also encouraged to make predictions about how much a container can hold or how much an object will weigh. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me. I would be more than happy to answer them. Please also be sure to check out the preview to see a sample of what is included in this packet.
This packet is the exact same packet as the Grade 3 Mass and Capacity with the exception of a Volume lesson included in this packet.