This low-prep, easy to follow math unit has everything you need to comprehensively teach all of the Grade 4 Ontario expectations for perimeter and area using 3-part math lessons. Help your students to develop a deep conceptual understanding of perimeter and area using hands-on problem solving, questioning, and purposeful talk throughout this unit.
Follow our unit plan and lessons from beginning to end and top to bottom!
- Carefully selected quick minds-on activities to activate student thinking before each problem-solving activity
- A word problem or task to illicit student solutions you can use for debriefing the lesson afterward
- Sample solutions for your reference so you can quickly identify the student solutions you will use
- Clearly explained teacher notes that will help you link student solutions and mathematical concepts, all leading your students to a deeper conceptual understanding of perimeter and area
- Student friendly learning goals and success criteria
- Easy to print copies of the problem (one for each group)
- An independent practice problem for each lesson to give students extra practice and can be used as a quick assessment for your records
- Review package, unit test, and assessment rubric
Save yourself hours of preparation while delivering a comprehensive unit to your students!
***A fully editable Word version of all problems and student handouts is included!***
- Measuring and recording area
- Perimeter and appropriate units
- Perimeter and area of rectangles
- Comparing polygons with the same perimeter
- Comparing polygons with the same area
- Creating and solving perimeter and area problems
All Jen and Dawn Educational Resources meet the Ontario Curriculum Expectations.