This low-prep, easy to follow math lesson has everything you need to comprehensively teach students how to subtract 4-digit numbers using a 3-part math lesson. Help your students to develop a deep conceptual understanding of subtraction by using hands-on problem solving, questioning, and purposeful talk.
Follow this lesson from beginning to end and top to bottom! Included is:
- A carefully selected quick minds-on activity to activate student thinking
- A word problem or task to illicit student solutions you can use for debriefing the lesson afterward
- Sample solutions for your reference so you can quickly identify the student solutions you will use
- Clearly explained teacher notes that will help you link student solutions and mathematical concepts, all leading your students to a deeper conceptual understanding, and ultimately an efficient and accurate use of algorithms
- Student friendly learning goals and success criteria
- Easy to print copies of the problem (one for each group)
- An independent practice problem to give students extra practice and can be used as a quick assessment for your records
***A fully editable Word version of all problems is included!***
This is the third lesson in a full unit that will be available in our store soon! Check back for more!