This low-prep, easy to follow math lesson will help your students to develop a deep conceptual understanding of comparing fractions to benchmarks (of 0, 1/2, and 1) by using hands-on problem solving, questioning, and purposeful talk.
Follow lesson from beginning to end and top to bottom! Included is:
- A carefully selected quick minds-on activity to activate student thinking
- A word problem or task to illicit student solutions you can use for debriefing the lesson afterward
- Sample solutions for your reference so you can quickly identify the student solutions you will use
- Clearly explained teacher notes that will help you link student solutions and mathematical concepts, all leading your students to a deeper conceptual understanding, and ultimately an efficient and accurate use of algorithms
- Student friendly learning goals and success criteria
- Easy to print copies of the problem (one for each group)
- An independent practice problem to give students extra practice and can be used as a quick assessment for your records
***A fully editable Word version of all problems is included!***
This lesson is a part of the complete fractions unit available in our store!