The "Patterning Activity Packet" is aligned with the Ontario Mathematics curriculum for Grade 4. This activity packet includes lesson plans and worksheets as well as word problems that can be used to teach students about patterning. This packet has students:
- Extend, describe, and create repeating, growing, and shrinking number patterns;
- Connect each term in a growing or shrinking pattern with its term number and record the patterns in a table of values that shows the term number and the term;
- Create a number pattern involving addition, subtraction, or multiplication, given a pattern rule expressed in words;
- Make predictions related to repeating geometric and numeric patterns;
- Extend and create repeating patterns that result from reflections;
Through this packet, students are given plenty of opportunities to create their own patterns via hands-on problems and activities. This packet would be great for high flying students in Grade 3 or students in Grade 5 who might need to review some key patterning concepts.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.