Welcome Grade 4 Social Studies Teachers
• The following research project has been created using the Ontario grade 4 Social Students curriculum documents.
• The finished research project will address every overall and specific expectation for the grade 4 social students curriculum – Medieval Times
• You will also be able to easily link this research project to language expectations and units. This is easily connected to Oral Communication (the presentation) and Media Literacy (the posters or PowerPoint presentations)
• Students may research the questions using a laptop or library collection of medieval books - you will need to get these for them ahead of time.
• Each student will need a new notebook labeled social studies.
• Break your students into groups of 2-3 and allow them ample time to research the questions and prepare their answers to those questions.
• The first lesson of this unit should be a detailed lesson on how to use the internet to do research, how to use a book to find specific information. For example, using the table of contents and the index.
• In my first time administering this project, my students required over two months to complete the tasks. We worked three, forty minute periods per week.
• On top of the research project, you can easily augment their learning by finding student / school friendly documentaries on Youtube. – I have chosen to not provide links to these videos for you as they can easily be taken down, removed, etc. My advice is to watch these documentaries ahead of time to ensure they are school friendly. It is very easy to find sexual content and violence in these documentaries.