A fun activity to encourage review of Core French basics and also a way to get to know your students at the beginning of a year.
Part 1 Directions:
1. Buy jolly ranchers and rockets (or substitute another candy) – I buy them for $2 a bag at Dollarama. You might find better deals at a Costco or Bulk Barn. You can edit the colour fill of table if necessary.
2. I would start by practicing the questions with them by you asking questions and they answer. You might have to model how to answer questions (in full sentences if you wish – I expect my Grade 5 to answer in full sentences). I do not start with candy yet – just practicing. In Grade 5, each colour has a choice of questions based on level easy to hard.
3. Practice until you think they can move to the next step – asking the questions. Practice with them asking students questions and students answering as already practiced.
Part 2 Directions:
1. Pick a student to be the caller.
2. Show student caller gets the bag/jar of candies and student picks 3 jolly ranchers to ask 3 different questions.
3. Student caller asks question 1, picks a student to answer, and rewards that student with the jolly rancher. Continues for all 3 students. Student caller picks next student to be a caller (if they haven’t already had a turn.)
4. You can also set rule that once they’ve earned a jolly rancher, students who have not get first dibs on answering a question from a student caller as long as their hand is up. If a student who has already earned a jolly rancher has hand up and is only one doing so, I call it fair game to that student to earn a second jolly rancher.
This activity can be split into two classes if you have short class time for French.
If it helps, you can allow students to use their review booklets, or your review booklet text .