Looking for a Hands-On, Inquiry-Based Unit that will address the entire Grade 5 Science - Forces Acting on Structures and Mechanisms curriculum?
This well thought-out unit covers the whole curriculum and is loaded with Rich Tasks like Bridge Research and Construction as well as a Mechanical Problem Solving Activity. The unit can best be described as Guided Inquiry as it is Research-Based, but also Guides students through the process every step of the way. It is also very hands-on as students are required to build their designs according to their research.
This unit is very Cross-Curricular in its design and covers many Language components as well: Reading (Research), Writing (Explanation Writing), and Oral Language (Presentations). You will love it and your kids will too. Simply open and follow the plan.
This full unit addresses the Grade 5 Science - Forces Acting on Structures and Mechanisms curriculum in Ontario. It includes:
Table of Contents
- Unit Plan
- Bridge Project Assignment Outline
- Bridge Research Organizer
- Bridge Research Exemplar 1
- Bridge Research Exemplar 2
- Our Bridge – Presentation Organizer
- Presentation Organizer Exemplar 1
- Presentation Organizer Exemplar 2
- My Bridge – Self-Reflection
- My Mechanical System – Explanation Why/How
- Mechanical System Investigation Organizer
- Explanation Organizer
- Force Quiz
- Mechanical System Explanation Paragraph Rubric
- Science Design Project Rubric V1
- Science Design Project Rubric V2
Ditch the units that have you photocopying worksheets for each student every lesson. This Guided Inquiry unit will be better for you AND your students!
Teaching a grade 5/6 split? This unit matches up with our Grade 6 Flight unit: