This grade 5 unit meets the Ontario Science Curriculum Expectations for Understanding Life Systems Strand (Human Organ Systems).
Here’s an overview of the unit:
- Learning centres: students work in small groups or individually to rotate between three centres over the course of the activity (five types of centre activities: iPad integration, technology, reading/writing activity, creative response, and a fun or hands-on activity);
- Whole class lesson/discussions followed by either small group activities or whole class activity
- Cross-curricular integration with other subject areas, including Language Arts (Reading, Writing, Oral Communication, Media Literacy), Drama, Physical Education, Art, and Health
- A focus on Assessment For and As Learning through student self-assessments and group assessments, KWL charts, exit slips, anticipation guides, and project planning sheets
- Reading strategies addressed include making connections, inferring, determining important ideas, drawing conclusions, and cause-and-effect
- Differentiated Instruction is achieved through Learning Centres, choice board for the end of unit project, RAFTS assignment, and a variety of hands-on activities and labs
The entire unit, including lessons, assignments, assessments, printables, and centre activities comes to over 140 pages!